City of Bella Vista - Planning Technician
Bella Vista is located in the NW corner of the state of Arkansas. Our city boasts nearly 100 miles of bicycle/walking trails that wind through beautiful hills and trees and around seven (7) lakes within the city limits. Bella Vista is a wonderful place to live and work, particularly if you are an outdoor enthusiast.
The Planning Technician provides technical, administrative, and clerical assistance to the Planning Division. The incumbent works closely with the public on a regular basis to provide customer service on planning matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of their own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Serve as initial point of contact for phone and walk-in Planning inquiries. Work closely with the public on a regular basis to educate or provide customer service on planning issues and/or explain the intent and scope of a proposed development or regulation.
- Conduct site visits, permitting, inspections and a variety of projects that have been submitted to the Planning division.
- Review planning permit applications for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with development regulations—including fence, sign, retaining wall, minor variance, home occupation, and other development applications as needed.
- Assist with zoning inquiries, and conduct research by looking up history of previous actions including zoning, conditional uses, variances, splits, and other information for a given parcel number.
- Investigate perceived planning violations, and conduct site visit(s) to confirm compliance with the Municode.
- Serve as clerk/recorder for the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment, as needed.
- Attend public meetings, assisting planning staff as appropriate by providing technical support.
- Note: Meeting attendance will include early evening hours that are outside of normal office hours.
- Assist in the preparation, production, and distribution of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment meeting packets (compilation of agenda, minutes, staff reports and recommendations, supporting exhibits for each project, and additional information as needed) to the established Meeting Packet distribution list. (Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustment, other City Departments, and utilities, outside agencies, media, groups, and individuals, etc.).
- Coordinate public noticing requirements for public hearing applications, as needed.
- Assist CDS with a variety of other duties as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in a related field, plus two years of related work experience. A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred, and may substitute for two years of work experience.
- Possess or ability to obtain and maintain a valid Driver’s License from the State of Arkansas.
- Ability to manage time effectively, work independently and to make sound judgments and decisions.
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and balance priorities.
- Ability to give and receive feedback graciously; and to be a thoughtful team member.
- Ability to understand, explain, and apply appropriate City codes, ordinances, regulations, and policies.
- Possess the ability to read and comprehend codes, policies, specifications, legal descriptions, and boundary maps of real property, maps, and development plans and plats.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to consistently communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions, and confer with city employees as well as the public. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to read and understand maps, technical drawings, codes and specifications.
- Knowledge of applicable safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions that, at times, may be harsh.
- Ability to traverse rough topography with obstacles.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and database applications maintained by the City or County.
- Basic knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) applications.
- Ability to pass background screen and drug test.
The City of Bella Vista has an excellent benefits package that includes a 457 retirement plan with a 2 to 1 employer match (up to a 5% personal contribution).
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER STATING WHY YOU ARE INTERESTED IN & QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION.