City of Bella Vista - Trails Manager
Bella Vista is located in the NW corner of the state of Arkansas. Our city boasts nearly 100 miles of bicycle/walking trails that wind through beautiful hills and trees and around seven (7) lakes within the city limits. Bella Vista is a wonderful place to live and work, particularly if you are an outdoor enthusiast.
The Trails Manager will be responsible for managing the City’s comprehensive trails program, which includes overseeing the city’s existing trails systems and facilitating the implementation of the city’s master trail plan by working closely with city staff, contractors and other agencies. Essential to the position is the collaboration and coordination with other City departments, County and regional agencies, community groups and various stakeholders.
Essential duties will include but not be limited to:
- Manage all aspects of the City’s trail system including oversee maintenance needs and agreements, event scheduling, permitting, budgeting for contracted projects.
- Coordinate with local foundations, community partners and related stakeholder groups.
- Manage and distribute timely and relevant information to Communications Department for necessary dissemination to residents and general public for promotion of trails updates and events.
- Prepare and manage trail program budget items based on the Departmental and grant funding for future trail projects and maintenance needs each year.
- Manage contractual services and agreements according to established policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) and the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and implement the best practices outlined for all trail and on-street bicycle projects.
- Receive and administer trail maintenance requests from the citizens, determine the necessary solution and coordinate with the responsible departments or organizations for resolution.
- Manage the design and implementation of scheduled trail maintenance inspections and repair of items including bridges, railings, trail pavement and lighting. Oversee maintenance of city trails via the existing maintenance agreement with the Bella Vista Property Owners Association (POA).
- Work in partnership with the City's existing volunteer programs and efforts in recruitment, training, and implementation of volunteer projects.
- Be familiar with the process and necessity of reviewing development plans to identify and oversee the dedication of property and the construction of trails associated with private developments, including presentations to the Planning Commission, as necessary to continue the implementation of trail plans.
- Serve as the designated representative on the Razorback Greenway Alliance to provide consistent guidance for the operations and management of the Razorback Greenway.
- Meet with local and regional trails groups and attend local and national bike and transportation expos, seminars and events.
- Supervise the development of citywide bicycle, pedestrian and trails educational and encouragement efforts by conducting public presentations to inform and educate trail users, as well as plan and execute community events and workshops.
- Serve as the primary contact for local and regional event organizers requesting the use of trails for their events, including permitting and scheduling, assistance with route/course development and securing necessary and requested police and fire personnel for the safest execution of the event.
- Create and share reports highlighting trail count/usage and other relevant data.
- Routinely ride all levels of trails (Easiest to Extremely Difficult) to observe current condition.
- Will occasionally be required to perform physical maintenance of trails such as weed eating, trimming of branches, removal of litter, etc. as issues arise needing immediate attention.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education/training/abilities desired include:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent, related training.
- Two (2) or more years’ experience organizing and managing trails systems, events, or other similar responsibilities.
- Ability to passionately serve with a ‘trails ambassador’ mindset while representing a diverse community in a thoughtful, balanced way.
- Clear & concise verbal communication skills.
- Ability to foster relationships with variety of individuals.
- Self-directed and able to maximize use of time, resources and technology.
- Exemplifies professional conduct and adherence to City values.
- Must be available to work some evenings, weekends, and occasional holidays, including some overtime hours.
- Must be outgoing and enjoy working with citizens of all ages.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Possess excellent diplomacy skills.
- Ability to give and receive feedback graciously; and to be a thoughtful team member.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to present to the public.
- Ability to regularly walk, hike, and bike outdoors on city trails in conditions that, at times, may be harsh.
- Ability to operate maintenance equipment such as weed eaters, branch trimmers, etc.
- Ideal candidate will be an avid cyclist who is familiar with or becomes familiar with Bella Vista and surrounding trails system.
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.
The City of Bella Vista has an excellent benefits package that includes a 457 retirement plan with a 2 to 1 employer match (up to a 5% personal contribution).